Annual Influenza Surveillance Meeting was held from 20 to 22 June, in Stockholm, Sweden.
The meeting focused on epidemiological and virological aspects of influenza surveillance and other influenza-related topics, especially prevention and vaccination.
This event brought together representatives (National Focal Points for Influenza, Operational Contact Points for Influenza epidemiological and virological surveillance, reference laboratories representatives) from the 31 European Union as well as Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Kosovo*, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey. Representatives from WHO/Europe have also been present.
The Meeting’s topics and sessions were developed in close cooperation with the European Influenza Surveillance Network (EISN) Coordination Committee and WHO/Europe. Its main objectives were to:
- Provide a situation update in the areas of epidemiology, virology and vaccination for the 2016–2017 influenza season, including with regard to A(H3N2) and emerging new respiratory viruses of particular public health concern (H5N1, H5N8, H7N9 and enterovirus D68);
- Discuss developments in respiratory syncytial virus surveillance;
- Present new developments in the European Surveillance System platform, as well as updates on the development and future work of Flu News Europe;
- Improve preparedness in the area of surveillance and of the laboratory network;
- Provide an update on influenza vaccine coverage, effectiveness and new developments; and
- Maintain and strengthen collaboration and information-sharing among members of EISN.